Stud wall partition advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are converting half of our double garage in to a room with insulation (something like celotex).
I was wondering what size timber is standard these day for a stud wall and most cost effective.
Is wickes the best place to purchase?

Thanks
Darren

Sponsored Links
try a proper merchant for the timber etc.
3 x2,cls,or even jumbo.

You will need to use at least 100mm (regularised to 97mm) thick timber in order to accommodate the thickness of celotex required.

try a proper merchant for the timber etc.
3 x2,cls,or even jumbo.
Wot is 'jumbo'? :confused:

Sponsored Links
So what thickness celotex would you use?
100mm betwixt studs and as much as you like across them prior to plaster-boarding.

Use say a minimum of 25mm across the studs. Foam any gaps and use foil tape across all insulation joints on both layers. Good foil taping will ensure a decent VCL.

Wickes is good, better than online retailer where you don't see what you're getting.

We did ours last year with 63mm studs, 60mm celotex between and 40mm on top on one side.

Any reason why they are better than any other shed?

I bought some "3x2" CLS from B&Q once - by the time I'd returned and replaced the stuff that warped (really horribly in some cases - one 8' piece developed a curve so bad that if you held one end on the floor the other was over 1' in the air. I'm not exaggerating), and then returned and replaced some of the replacements, etc, I doubt I had a success rate of more than about 25% overall.

do you need building regs if the garage is not attached to the house?
Its about 5 meters away.

do you need building regs if the garage is not attached to the house?
Its about 5 meters away.

Depends on the size of the garage and what you are putting into the conversion.

If you make it habitable (Running water and sewerage I believe) then yes.

If it is over 30m2 then yes.

If it is neither of the above then no.

We have just built a 23m2 Garage (Long single) The back end 4.5m2 has been made into a home office. This was all exempt from building regs, only thing needing certifying was the electrics.

Our whole garage is double skinned with insulation and we have an insulated garage door. Because of this we haven't used celotex we just used a fibre slab insulation. We used Exterior ply on the garage side of the partition and plasterboard on the office side but it will depend on your existing construction, we were building from scratch!

Hi,

The room will be used to house a reptile room for breeding chameleons hence the need for good insulation etc.
Our garage has two seperate front doors and no side door (we would like to add one in to the partitioned area.

If the maximum 30 sqr meters before building regs apply then does this mean the interior floor space or the whole area covered by the building?

If building regs apply then what impact is this likely to have.

We were just going to put an insulated wall down the centre of the garage and then plasterboard the interior walls of the room (including insulation) and them put a ceiling in. Obviously all the electrics willl need certification.

It's the footprint of the whole Building.

Building Control are normally very friendly people. Measure up, phone them, tell them what you want to do and they will tell you if it is exempt or not. I then asked them to put it in writing and they did without issue.

Planning departments I have found are not always quite so helpful but they are generally only concerned if you want to change the external look of the building. If you leave the garage door in place. and are just boarding inside then they shouldn't be too bothered for the use you are indicating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back