Stud wall timber size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to put up a stud wall approx 3100 long to divide a hallway and sitting room.

The sitting room is very narrow and the walls wont be taking any loads, so I'm tempted to use 3 by 2 instead of 4 by 2. Does this sound wise and will it be adequately strong or am I better off sacrificing the inch?

Sponsored Links
My advice is don’t do it, stick to 4” x 2”. IMO, stud walls are a poor enough compromise as it is; it’s only a dividing wall with no doors & won’t make any structural difference but I can’t see the point of scrimping on an inch of timber, especially on a 3.1m wall. The material cost difference is going to be negligible & are you really going to notice a 1” or even a ½” inch difference either side!

It’s not a B Regs. requirement but I would also shove some insulation in the stud for good measure. ;)

If space is an issue, then 3x2 at 400 centres and 12.5mm board will be fine

If space is even more of an issue you can use 38 x 63 CLS, and if space is a really big issue, then you can use the CLS sideways to give a 38mm stud plus 12.5mm boards

In fact you have got more of a chance of buying straight CLS than you have of buying straight 3x2 or 4x2

The partitions in my house are 25X50 the partitions are 50mm wide overall, surprise surprise they have not fallen down since they were built 10 years ago! Just saying like! ;)

Sponsored Links
We always use 4" x 2" unless space prohibits or connecting walls dictate.

It is not so much about strength as thickness and acoustics.

Thanks guys. Looking at your suggestion of CLS Woody - I've used 100 x 47 C16 before.

What is CLS? 89 by 38 is cheaper per metre plus if you're saying it's more likely to come straight then this could be a no brainer?

Is there a standard timber for stud walls - C16 or CLS?

Thanks guys. Looking at your suggestion of CLS Woody - I've used 100 x 47 C16 before.

What is CLS? 89 by 38 is cheaper per metre plus if you're saying it's more likely to come straight then this could be a no brainer?

Is there a standard timber for stud walls - C16 or CLS?

CLS is the standard, it's uniform and sized to take into account plasterboard cover and door linings etc. 89x38 is referred to as 4x2 cls when out 'shopping'

CLS is good because it comes planed smooth and rounded (no splinters for soft hands), it comes straight (no messing with alignment) and it comes dry ( no subsequent shrinking or twisting so is better for an existing dry house)

Otherwise, with say regularised or rough, it can be a bit hit and miss - but its OK for new build and builders

Don't you guys ever use metal studs for partition walls,,, if not, why not?
Wood is easier to get hold of than proprietary steel studding, easier to cut & construct, easier to fix to & probably cheaper but I don’t actually know that for fact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back