Sub floor for Wood Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are going to lay 190 x 20/6 x 2000 multy layer wooden floor.
The floor is t&G 4 sides.I would be grtafull if some one can help me with
the following:
On the sub floor the joiner has asked me whether every joint has be over a joist or because the flooring is T & G on 4 sides can the butt joints float between joists if necessary.

Many thanks for your support. ;)

Sponsored Links
I guess your installing directly onto joists? As long as your floorboards are minimum 18mm thick and every board 'touches' at least three joists the joints don't all have to be on a joist.

Many thanks for your support.

Just quick one - should we nail the board to the joist or floating by gluing T & G will be good enogh?

:rolleyes:

No its is either or.
Either you install directly on the joists (above the void) with secret nailing OR you have a subfloor (plywood on joists first) and install the boards floating.

Sponsored Links
Dear wood you like ,

One quick - we decided to go for fitting stright on the joist as per your advice - 3 touches. However 20 % of the planks are 600&800mm.
the rest are 1200 & up.

The gap between the joists is 400mm. Can we still fit the "shorts" though its only 2 touches? if not any idea to avoid the waste?

Lets say will change the method to plywood - will 5mm or 7mm will be good enogh for 200 x 21/6 ?

Many thank! :oops:

If you mix the short ones in between long planks (meaning, no short after short, after short in one row or short next to short, next to short in the next rows) you're alright.

For the plywood alternative: 18mm thickness at least otherwise it's not load-bearing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back