Sub-titles

L

longdogs

I've finally cracked the growing problem of 'mumbling' tv dramas. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before - I turned on the sub-titles.

I watched the first episode of Fortitude last night and as usual, the sound of someone taking off their hi-vis jacket was louder than the dialogue, that combined with mumbling foreign accents and over-the-top background music made it impossible to understand. Switched on the sub-titles and 'hey presto.'

Unfortunately, it didn't help the plot too much :cry:

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Good idea. Just a shame that it is so often necessary these days. 'Background' music seems to be very much in vogue these days.

I believe that, despite enormous advances in technology, sound technicians appear to have lost any skills they once used to possess.

Good idea. Just a shame that it is so often necessary these days. 'Background' music seems to be very much in vogue these days.

I believe that, despite enormous advances in technology, sound technicians appear to have lost any skills they once used to possess.

yes, I agree. if you watch an old film you can hear it perfectly. We started to think it was us going a bit deaf but it's good to know that it's not just us. :LOL:

I use them quite often although trying to watch the news with both the sub titles and the sound on is disconcerting because there is a time lag between the spoken word and the sub title.
I first started with sub titles for music. Thinking the lyrics of some songs were tripe at best I tried the sub titles and yes the lyrics were tripe.

Sponsored Links
Something I've notices on our terrestrial channels is the adverts on ITV seem louder than the programs. On BBC the intro/outro music for almost every program is far louder than the dialogue in the program itself. (and as mentioned previously, incidental music in programs seems to drown out the dialogue)

Yes, the adverts are definitely amplified above the levels of the programme volume to get the message across - although I believe this is against the rules.

Stayed at my brother's at Xmas, and the volume of the music for his sky menus/prog listings was OTT. Definitely louder than it used to be. A quick change of the Sky settings muted the menu music. Shame there isn't a function to do the same for the ads.

yes, I agree. if you watch an old film you can hear it perfectly. We started to think it was us going a bit deaf but it's good to know that it's not just us. :LOL:

Didn't they dub the films rather than just use the recorded sound?

Something I've notices on our terrestrial channels is the adverts on ITV seem louder than the programs. On BBC the intro/outro music for almost every program is far louder than the dialogue in the program itself. (and as mentioned previously, incidental music in programs seems to drown out the dialogue)

Yes, that's a well-known ploy. Their stock answer is that the maximum volume is the same for both programmes and adverts, but the adverts are all transmitted at full volume whereas programmes are produced with a wide volume range. Something like that, anyway.

A feeble excuse.

Didn't they dub the films rather than just use the recorded sound?

Yes I think you are right.

Yes, the adverts are definitely amplified above the levels of the programme volume to get the message across - although I believe this is against the rules.

Stayed at my brother's at Xmas, and the volume of the music for his sky menus/prog listings was OTT. Definitely louder than it used to be. A quick change of the Sky settings muted the menu music. Shame there isn't a function to do the same for the ads.

The same thing happened with Sky last year when the new music was introduced. I complained to Sky (along with plenty of others) and they eventually turned it down. Their excuse was that it was loud to help the hard of hearing. A few days of it and we would all be hard of hearing.

Same thing this January, contacted them again and asked them to leave a post-it note on the sound equipment for next year. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back