Subsidence problem???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm worried my council property is suffering with subsidence but the council inspector has said it's just the building ageing? Would like more information what to look for to confirm this as CNT afford £300 for a structure survey.

Property is end terrace of 3 built approx 1980

Sponsored Links
Is the property owned by the council? If so I don't believe that they would intentionally claim actual subsidence is just normal settlement/aging as it is in their interests to maintain their asset's value.

Can you post up some photos or at least offer a description of any areas that concern you and we will advise if possible?

Ongoing subsidence is usually measured over a period of time, in mining areas etc, so a glance from a surveyor may not be all that revealing.

Whereas localised failings may be due to a broken drain and could be interpreted as a low risk easily identified/fixed item.

Or, the house may have been built on lousy ground and would need serious remedial work.

There is no such thing as typical subsidence.

Sponsored Links
And why do you care if it isn't yours? :confused:

Would like more information what to look for to confirm this as CNT afford £300 for a structure survey.

Cracks as wide as your little finger going right through external walls from outside to inside in the same place

And why do you care if it isn't yours? :confused:

She might want to buy it.

She might want compensation for the landlord not fulfilling its repairing obligation under Statute and contract law.

She might want a rebate on the rental charges to reflect the diminution of the value of the tenancy

She might want compensation for damaged decorations, excess heating bills, discomfort, dampness .... etc etc

Property is end terrace of 3 built approx 1980
Is it timber framed - and are there trees nearby ? A friend lives in a private house backing a Social Housing estate - The Association were adamant that a tree had to come down because it was affecting their 1980`s timber framed houses - the Oak was over 100 years old ! - The HA thought it was his tree , until he proved to them otherwise ( it was on a patch of no man`s land ) They had to pay :LOL: . Now in my personal opinion , it just depends who sees what , when they are bureaucrats ;) I love them all :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back