Subsidence!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know if this is appropriate for a DIY forum but I would appreciate any advice from anyone who knows anything about subsidence.

A number of cracks and gaps have recently started appearing all over the house. They are quite superficial and can all be simply sorted by filling. Nevertheless I am concerned as the cracks are quite sudden and the house is 30 years old and has not shown any signs of movement in the past. There are trees around the house (conifer type) and the soil is clay based.

Should I be worried!?

Sponsored Links
What's your postcode? (someone on here will know conditions in your area)

How big are the cracks? Where are they (internal/external/by windows etc)? Photos? any local building work? any burst water mains? flooding?

If you`re in the same county as static(and me) then we`re all in a drought.I`ve noticed a couple of new cracks@ mine too :cry:

Sponsored Links
I live near Manchester so theres certainly no drought round here :)

Its mainly in the kitchen extension area where there is a large crack all around the ceiling line (approx 5mm). If the extensions sinking then I'm not overly concerned as I can use it as an excuse to tear it down and build a new double storey extension instead.

My main concern is that there are new cracks (hairline to 2mm) all over the property particularly around the window sills, front and back. I had a building engineer come round but at the time the problem was confined to the kitchen area. His findings were that a large (8m) pine tree at the back approx 5m away needed to come down. Now, given that the problem appears to be all over the house, I suspect the tree isn't in fact causing the problem (besides I thought pine trees had ball type roots?!)

I guess my question is ... is it normal for houses to go through periods of natural movement like this?

mmmmm.... your house is cracking. The soil is clay. You have a large tree, closer than its own height to the house. Your engineer advises you to have it removed. You are looking for an alternative.

Are you emotionally attached to this tree?

Its a nice tree :D

Seriously thought, my fear is that theres something more serious given that its affecting the whole house!

All trees can effect foundations, but pine are medium water demand so normally arent much of a problem. Assuming your in clay and its nothing too spongy then your not looking at anything major on depth of footings...unless.. the tree gets higher than 15m or so. How close is it to the extension? If you chop down the tree or keep it trimmed below 10m it shouldnt cause any probs.
Cracks can be seasonal, widening in winter and closing in summer, a 5mm crack is a little bit of a concern. All round the ceiling line? how big is the extension?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back