Suggested thickness of oak window board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a solid oak window board - what is a good suggested thickness to choose to butt up to my new double glazed windows?

Sponsored Links
My builder suggested 25mm but a few of the Internet sites I looked at only offered 19mm or 32mm. Is 32 too thick and 19mm on the thin side?

Also any suggested good sites you recommend I can order from that you have used?

There's no such thing as too thick, but 19mm is probably as thin as I would go. Any less would look wimpy, and I'd be afraid of snapping the edge if I stood on it to dislodge the curtain rings... :LOL:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Oak is oak. Hardwood could refer to any, well, hardwood... I've seen some that appear to be teak, but I suppose there must be mahogany ones out there too.

No I'm just a DIYer who picked up more in the way of woodwork than other areas of DIY! A window board is basically just a plank, so you could conceivably get any wood you like if you don't mind finishing it yourself. Nothing wrong with oak of course. Do you have any other wood in the room/house that you could match to?

Not yet, but we will soon. Gutted out a large house and working on the rebuild, so have to look at doors, and door linings next.
In your opinion, is there any upside in going for hardwood door linings if they are going to be painted white? I just like the idea of strong frames rather than soft wood. We will probably go with MDF primed skirting and architrave.

In your opinion, is there any upside in going for hardwood door linings if they are going to be painted white?
I suppose hardwood may have fewer knots than a pine. But that's all I can think of. The weak link will be the hinges/screws rather than the lining. Almost every door you ever walked through had a pine lining...

ok and final q - buying door lining sets v door lining (non-sets)....builder wants me to buy the former but its more costly for me. Some of ours widths are non standard, so we have 110, 130, 140 and some much more. What does a door set actually offer over a non door set, does it impact quality of finish?

I've often wondered that myself! How many walls are just the right thickness for a ready-made casing? Can't be many. Surely nine times out of ten you'd have to cut it down, or pack it out, in which case you might as well make your own lining from scratch using ordinary planed square edge (PSE)!
I guess they're designed for brand new walls that haven't been plasterboarded/dry lined yet. You fit a lining that is thicker than the wall, then board and let the plasterer finish flush with the lining. But how people manage to replace linings in hundred year old houses, with off-the-shelf kits, is a mystery to me!

Last edited:
Looking in your other thread, are you painting that window board too? Doesn't seem worth buying hardwood if you are!

Is it best to avoid wooden window boards in the bathroom areas and use tile instead?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back