Suitable Fixings for Screwing Into Paving/Cement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've just had some new paving laid to which I am seeking to secure a wooden arbour. I've spoken with the paver to ensure that there is a full bed of cement underneath the paving stones to take the fixings.

But what fixings would be suitable for the job?

Paver suggested 'Thunderbolts' - Do I insert these bolts so that they screw into both the paving and cement base, or just the cement? How long should I leave the cement to harden before drilling it?

The paving slabs seem sturdy enough - Castcrete Autumn Gold - so assume they wouldn't split if drilled/screwed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thunderbolts or resin fixings will do - don't use anything like expanding anchors or the slab is likely to split.

Go easy drilling the slabs and stay clear of drilling near the edges

Success will largely depend upon luck, particularly if you have more than one hole and they are close together and close to the edge of the slab. The chances of the slab splitting are high.

Concrete screws (thunderbolts) are probably the best bet. They will take a bit of screwing in though.

Cordless impact driver will be your friend if you have any number of them to do..

I'd do it after the mortar cures (grey, hard, been down a few weeks) because the vibrations from hammer drilling the slab might separate the slab from the mortar or to a lesser extent, weaken the curing mortar by disturbing he crystalline structure hat is forming to cure it

Sponsored Links
Doomed to fail. Yes the slabs might be on mortar but that's not enough to take any lifting or shear stresses.

Thanks all, so the plan is:
1. Position the arbor so that the footings are clear from the slab edges.
2. Wait a couple of weeks for the cement to cure fully.
3. Drill slabs and cement.
4. Screw thunderbolts to both the slab and the cement.
5. Avoid impact drivers.

Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back