Suitable roof construction for loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is pie in the sky at the moment, but at some point when we come into money, whenever that will be, I'd like to look at converting my loft into an extra bedroom, possibly bathroom plus a nice snug type space.

From reading the many threads on here I would imagine I'd need new joists for the floor - it is currently boarded so I don't know what the joists are. House was built in 1986 and is a bungalow.

My question is what needs to be done to open up the space yet still support the roof? As you can see from the pics there are various structures in there.

This would be done with proper building control etc and structural drawings, but for my own curiosity I'd like to know what I'd need to get professionals in to do and what bits I can do myself.
IMG_20170107_172849.jpg
IMG_20170107_172854.jpg

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you have a truss roof there, none of the individual elements on their own are strong enough without the others. So if you remove some of them the remaining elements will need strengthening/supporting.
If you're planning on forming a full dormer then you might find it easier and more cost effective to take the whole lot off and start again.
In short this sort of roof is the most complex to convert

Bugger. Not what I was hoping to hear. But looking at it yes, I can see it would need strengthening.

Wouldn't be planning on a former, it really is a very big space as it is so don't think there's a need.

Cheers.

It can be done, you need to speak with a SE, but as I said the easiest option might be to re cut the roof or replace with attic trusses

Sponsored Links
Make sure you get the drawings done by someone that comes recommended.

I didn't, and I regret it.

Yeah, my parents next door neighbour is an SE and has been for a long time so would speak with him. As I say, at the moment it is just a pipe dream but I like to know my options for if/when we have enough free cash to consider this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back