Supermarket petrol compared to main dealer petrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive heard from a few people that supermarket petrol gives less millage than a main delaers petrol.

What are peoples experiences of using supermarket petrol compared to dealer petrol?

I have personally noticed I get more millage out of ESSO fuel than tesco fuel.

Sponsored Links
Which one or what area are you from?

It's very difficult to do a comparsion as driving is difference everyday.

From london. I only do town driving. Ive heard from others they get less milage out of it as well.

Some have also said it makes the engine more sluggish. Takes longer to pick up speed.

I've noticed that I get 20-30 more miles out of a tank of BP petrol than I do out of Sainsburys petrol.

As Masona says, driving is different everyday. You have an added complication: a lot of cars have TWO tanks. You only fill one, but there is a smaller "reserve" tank. I find that parking on upward slopes and downward slopes causes fuel transfer between the two, so the difference in a fill up after the light comes on varies by several litres. Sometimes it's only 40 litres, sometimes it is as much as 43 litres to fill it up. And that is using the same pump at the same station.

Sponsored Links
It's mostly BP petrol in London & supermarket. The problem you're experience could be the water level content in the forecourt storage underground tank which they have to test daily with a dip stick to pump out if high level water content. Sometime when petrol tanker delivered into storage tank it can take quite a while the water to settle at the bottom.

If you fill up at Esso forecourt it doesn't mean it's Esso petrol!

I find using petrol or diesel cleaner seems to run better. Here

The best I got out of my 2.0litre diesel was 72mpg but to be fair I was doing 50-55 mph without stopping for 3 hrs on the Motorway.

some of the cheaper fuels are cheaper cos they put crap in like engine cleaners etc which are just useless and no point in having, you may pay premium for some fuels but imho its worth it

masona said:
The best I got out of my 2.0litre diesel was 72mpg but to be fair I was doing 50-55 mph without stopping for 3 hrs on the Motorway.

I maintained a rock-steady 70mph for about 400 miles once (stopped halfway, mind) and hit 41mpg in my 1.6l petrol Astra. The only time I've ever seen the trip meter go beyond 400 miles!

My mate gets sickening mileage in his 1.5dCi Clio. He consistently gets 70mpg averages, even once when we were driving through Wales, with all its hills, with the climate control working. Lord knows what he would get on a steady 56mph cruise with no a/c!

i tried BP ultimate once... and believe me im my car i would notice the difference is any extra power or better mileage was apparent...(500cc diesel!).. and its was exactly the same as the cheaper Asda stuff and ran out at just the time the dash light always blinks at me.

All the petrol companies trade between each other,so regardless of the name on the pump,it usually comes from the nearest refinery.
So Scotland is all supplied by BP Grangemouth
NorthEast England from Jarrow
Humberside from Conoco Immingham
NorthWest England from Shell Stanlow
SouthEast from BP Coryton

So unless it is a different grade of petrol,it is unlikely to make any difference.

My mum's was moaning about her Mirca auto only doing 24-27mpg. Wanted a engine tune-up, whoa wait a minute, let me have it for a couple of week, I got 43-48mpg :LOL:

My mum does not know how to drive a automatic car, heavy on the gas & brake I have noticed :rolleyes: and almost blamed Bp petrol :LOL: :LOL:

I think the rest of you have this philological thing regarding certain petrol drives better :)

Why is it when I have cleaned my car it always seem to drive better :LOL:

I thought that petrol like lots of other things conforms to standards & that 4 star petrol meets a minium, if additives are added then that is an extra which is paid for, similar to paying for extra leg room on a plane.

Diyisfun said:
similar to paying for extra leg room on a plane.
Yep, just paid £120 extra for leg room preventing my 2 boys looking like a grasshopper.

My youngest is 16 yrs old, 6' 5". Who need growbag :!:

Oh er, off topic here.

regarding qualities of fuel.
If the esso etc main dealers fuel is so great at giving good mileage cos it's 'purer', then why do i get exactly the same mileage out of it when i run sainsburys fuel topped up with 10l of veg oil?
Surely if the premium suff was cleaner/more efficient then with supermarket stuff AND chip fat i should get rubbish mileage.. but nope... 610miles before the light comes on every time +- 10 miles. :p
before you ask 610 miles!! :?: .. yup tank is 70l diesel C5 with 9l reserve

hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back