Supplementary Bonding Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know this is one of those questions where there's no black or white answer, but as a DIYer I wondered if there was any basic advice you could give me regarding bonding in a bathroom...

I'm about to undertake a total bathroom renovation - back to brick and all fixtures and fittings replaced. As you'd expect there's no electrics in the room other than wall-mounted fan and ceiling light (with switches outside the room). I'm replacing the fan and ceiling light in the same position without changing the wiring so no issues there.

I've tried to read about supplementary bonding, what is and isn't required, but I can't make much sense of it. I don't want to try and do the right thing but end up bonding something I shouldn't and making it potentially less safe than if I hadn't bonded it at all!

At the moment the main earth bonding cable that runs from the CU to the stopcock passes underneath the floorboards in the bathroom. On the way it is bonded to the hot and cold domestic pipes at the point where they tee off to the bath taps. The same pipes then feed the rest of the bathroom.

As part of my renovation I'm moving the bath to the other side of the room so all of this will have to change, even if I just replicate the current situation in the new location. The hot and cold domestic pipes will enter the bathroom and then tee off for the basin, WC, bath and shower (in that order). All pipes will be copper.

The main earth bonding will still run through the bathroom. Should I replicate the current situation and bond the hot/cold pipes as they enter the room, or is this not really necessary? Should I consider bonding the central heating circuit in the bathroom as well?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
First of all, do you have RCD protection for all (sounds like there's only one) the circuits to the bathroom?

Then -

as long as the main bonding is satisfactory AND

all circuits comply with disconnection times

NO supplementary bonding is required.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't have to go back to the CU, but I don't think it is actually forbidden, is it?

If I read correctly, I think it is the Main Bonding conductor which is connected to the bathroom pipes on its way to the CU (MET).

If I read correctly, I think it is the Main Bonding conductor which is connected to the bathroom pipes on its way to the CU (MET).
Yes - my comment was sloppy.

I'll try again.

Supplementary Equipotential Bonding doesn't have to go back to the CU, but I don't think it is actually forbidden, is it?

I didn't think so.

He just said the main bond should not be connected to the bathroom pipes, i.e. used as supplementary bonding as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back