Supplying power to island in kitchen with wet UFH

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just curious how power should be delivered to a kitchen island in a room with a wet UFH system installed.

My understanding of the layers that make up the floor are:
  • Floor covering (top)
  • Screed (70mm)
  • Insulation (70mm)
  • DPM
  • Block and beam (bottom)
I am guessing the cable will go between the insulation and DPM and then pop up through an opening in the insulation? And should a channel be cut into the bottom of the insulation for the cable (and a conduit?) to sit in?

(BTW I am the home owner and will not be doing this work myself.)

Sponsored Links
Conduit on top of the insulation, covered with the screed.

I would agree with fp, but your UFH is obviously going in the same place, so care needs to be taken to keep the cable(s) as far away from the heat as is practicable.

If the cable and pipe need to cross, I'd be digging a chunk out of the insulation to take the cable beneath the pipes, with some packing/insulation to keep them apart.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Sponsored Links
It could be bought down from the ceiling with the cable run in a fixture such as a stainless steel column with utensil hooks or other functional surface to ceiling item.

EDIT great minds ( Jackrea and me ) think alike, he types faster

• Thanks
Reminds me of a shop i was called too, this had a remote island display, and they had chased a galv conduit to a floorbox under the unit, however after the floorbox shorting out and tripping the circuit twice in less than a year, it was decided to disconnect the circuit.
On close inspection the route of the conduit was discoulored, the conclusion was they dug too deep, penetrating the membrane.
This was done by so called proffesionals, so id add the main thing is that care is taken not to damage the membrane

• Thanks
Put the conduit (or micc as Owain said) first before the insulation, but oversize the cable to allow for being derated.

• Thanks
Or take the cables overhead and bring them down inside a piece of "artistic" feature
We do not want to do this, but you make a valid point and this is one option for delivery power to an island.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back