Supporting a storm porch

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on replacing a flat roof with a pitch roof above garage and storm porch. I've put a computerised photo on to show what I'm trying to achieve.

I'm hoping to remove the existing metal support pole from the corner of the storm porch and maybe run a long beam across the garage and counterlever across the storm porch. The total length of the beam would be 5.4m with the section over the porch measuring 2.1m.

Does this sound feasible and if so what sort of beam would be best for the job? Also would I need to put a padstone onto the far corner of the garage wall?

Sponsored Links
I'm hoping to remove the existing metal support pole from the corner of the storm porch and maybe run a long beam across the garage and counterlever across the storm porch. The total length of the beam would be 5.4m with the section over the porch measuring 2.1m.
Do you not think it might look a bit odd, from an aesthetics pov, having the section over the storm porch cantilever?

A full porch would be too narrow and couldn't see any way around it if we wanted to lose the metal pole.

Why not build a brick pier at the required supporting corner, upon which you could rest the purlin?

Sponsored Links
We did think about this as well, but from the front of the house it would look like 3 brick pillars in a row and it didn't look right at all.

We did quite a few different photos and believe it or not this was our best option.

Regardless of the the flat-earthers all wanting you to put a support in the corner :LOL: , yes you can do it in the manner you suggest. It will probably need a strap taken down the wall at the far end to stop it (theoretically) tipping over, if the roof loading got all heavy on the cantilever and all light on the other span. Other than that, easy peasy to sort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back