Supporting an existing stone fireplace lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old stone fireplace with a stone lintel which is poorly supported at both sides due to stones falling out (phot attached, hopefully). I am hoping to install a wood-burning stove but wonder how best to support the lintel to enable me to build up the missing stone and mortar at the sides. Would reinforced concrete lintels placed vertically under each side of the lintel be a good idea or can you suggest better?

Attachments

• IMG_2626.JPG
    IMG_2626.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 324
Sponsored Links
OP,
Search in the building forum for masses of similar questions and their detailed answers.
"opening up chimney breasts" is a good search question.
Searching my back suggestions might also be a start but there are lots of others who advise on this.

No that will look terrible. Pack up the opening with building blocks and hammer in some long thin wooden wedges. That will hold the lintel in place. Gently take the sides down and rebuild. Move the stones and perhaps use bricks behind them, so it looks "stone" but the core is brick. It would be nice to move the lintel a bit towards the left.
I doubt if the lintel is holding the whole stack up, just a metre or so above the opening, but it would be messy and dangerous if it fell down during construction.
If you use a bit of round bar in a joint, it reduces the friction, so stones can be "persuaded" to move, which they would not if sitting on another stone.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back