supporting joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i'm thinking about removing a wall in my kitchen but see the joists above rest on them.The joists go full length,14ft,but rest about 6ft along on a wall seperating two parts of my kitchen.The joists measure 7"x2" and the wall to be taken down is 8ft wide.
Will i need to put up an rsj and if so how big or can i get away with joining 2 or 3 joists together along the 8ft supporting the joists.One wall is a double thickness and the other a single wall.

Sponsored Links
This gets asked alot, if you want someone to design a beam for you for free then nice try but not going to happen.. as you will be putting in a building notice to BC then chances are they will want calcs for the beam so get an SE to design it..

wasn't after anyone calculating a beam.There is no load bearing wall above and was thinking of doing it as a precaution as i'm not sure the joists at 7"x2"x14ft would be sufficient.

Sponsored Links
Ahh sorry.. ok they 7x2" joists can span about 12ft clear span assuming they are 16" centres apart.. so no they cant span your distance and will need extra support..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back