Surface clipped cables under kichen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question for a Sunday evening:

I'm planning new kitchen layout and thinking about socket positions etc. I read on here about how it's fine (though opinions vary!) to have chased cables above the worktop and then switch to surface clipping for below worktop in the service void behind cabinets.

My question is, how do you transition from chased in conduit/capping to surface clipped, if there's no suitable placed socket to make the transition? Do you just end the conduit and leave the cable coiled sticking out of the wall for the plasterer to work around? Or do you install a shallow back box just for the purpose? I can't quite visualise how you would make a neat transition.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Two ways.

1) If the plaster is only patching the wall... The boxes are cut into the wall, and a short chase between box and worktop height. Cables typically placed in oval conduit in the chase only, and cables below worktop clipped to wall. Plasterer patches damage.

2) If the whole wall is going to get replastered... Cut boxes into wall, short chase between box and worktop height. Conduit fitted in chase butted up neatly to box. Short draw wire in conduit. Plasterer comes in and does his stuff. When dry, you can run the cables, feed into conduits, and neatly clip cables to new plaster below worktop height.

Assuming you're installing a ring, use two 20mm oval conduit drops from each of your boxes down to just below the worktop height.
It's not worth trying to get two 2.5mm² T&Es into one conduit.

As sparkwright says, if your conduits and boxes are all in place, you can pull / feed your cabling in after the walls are skimmed.

Just chissel out afterwards (unless you've got a very cooperative plasterer, in which case you may not need to) at the bottom of each conduit, to reveal enough space for you cables to come through.

It's all going to be hidden anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back