Surprise, surprise...Homebase in the brown stuff!

I think you are missing the point.

They are not after the professionals, or at least not with any real seriousness, they are after the spendy convenience shoppers who like big stores they can walk around, plenty of them to keep these places in business.

Just not enough to support so many competitors that you end up with several stores in every town.

Sponsored Links
I went into the Burnley store today, closing down - everything must go.
50% off lowest price.

Still costs more than you can get it elsewhere.

They are not after the professionals, or at least not with any real seriousness, they are after the spendy convenience shoppers who like big stores they can walk around, plenty of them to keep these places in business.

Just not enough to support so many competitors that you end up with several stores in every town.

Well that's the thing rich people don't like spending their money so what market are they really trying to capture now? Might have worked during the boom but monies siphoned off to the super rich and plain rich are more savvy about value for money to obviously stay rich. I see them in b@q all the time the irony is they spend just as much in b@q on bathroom suites and kitchens as at homebase

HawkEye244";p="3229451 said:

Just not enough to support so many competitors that you end up with several stores in

Well that's the thing rich people don't like spending their money so what market are they really trying to capture now? Might have worked during the boom but monies siphoned off to the super rich and plain rich are more savvy about value for money to obviously stay rich. I see them in b@q all the time the irony is they spend just as much in b@q on bathroom suites and kitchens as at homebase

You wouldn't like to put a small wager on that would you?? I played off B&Q against Wren kitchens, ok so I did bend the truth a bit but I got a pretty good deal, though can't say the same about the quality of B&Q kitchens but it looks good and the property is on the market.

Sponsored Links
pred";p="3229464 said:

Just not enough to support so many competitors that you end up with several stores in

You wouldn't like to put a small wager on that would you?? I played off B&Q against Wren kitchens, ok so I did bend the truth a bit but I got a pretty good deal, though can't say the same about the quality of B&Q kitchens but it looks good and the property is on the market.

Yea but that's you with your extensive knowledge of DIY and you probably unwittingly or not gave the game away. In other words they sized you up and realised they wouldn't get anywhere trying to swindle you and wanted the sale so you ended up getting a 'reasonable' deal.

I don't know about how B@Q pay their employees but as it's a sales floor so to speak they presumably operate on a ratchet system or commission system of some kind? Sometimes they'll mark down prices considerably because the order books are looking light I do know that,... so it can come down to luck and timing.

Don't get me wrong though, I'll be including them on the next kitchen :mrgreen: Trade prices of course

HawkEye244";p="3230332 said:

Yea but that's you with your extensive knowledge of DIY and you probably unwittingly or not gave the game away. In other words they sized you up and realised they wouldn't get anywhere trying to swindle you and wanted the sale so you ended up getting a 'reasonable' deal.

I don't know about how B@Q pay their employees but as it's a sales floor so to speak they presumably operate on a ratchet system or commission system of some kind? Sometimes they'll mark down prices considerably because the order books are looking light I do know that,... so it can come down to luck and timing.

Don't get me wrong though, I'll be including them on the next kitchen :mrgreen: Trade prices of course

If you do a lot of DIY and especially if you're going to install a kitchen get yourself a Trade Point card at B&Q, I've got two big stores both within a ten minute drive and have even played them off against each other.

Used one of those tradepoint cards, whilst better than nothing still much cheaper for most things elsewhere though I will concede they are ok for kitchens and bathrooms but frankly not much else.

Used one of those tradepoint cards, whilst better than nothing still much cheaper for most things elsewhere though I will concede they are ok for kitchens and bathrooms but frankly not much else.

Sand, cement and concrete blocks are generally cheaper than the good builders merchants, Travis Perkins is about half a mile from where I live but there prices are extortionate so I never use them.

If you do a lot of DIY and especially if you're going to install a kitchen get yourself a Trade Point card at B&Q, I've got two big stores both within a ten minute drive and have even played them off against each other.

I've got an 'Over 60' card from B&Q which allows me something like 10% off, but it only works on Wednesdays!

Sponsored Links
Back