Suspended Ceilings and the 17th Edition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is there anything in the 17th about running cables within suspended ceilings? Specifically NOT laying cables over the top of ceiling tiles?

I've left my book at work so cant check.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry about the 17th on this one.

For years it has been accepted 'good professional practice' to support cables above false ceiling voids.

Reasons ??

1/ Ceiling designed to carry it's own weight, not electrical cable, BT, data etc
2/ Cables laid on the upper side of tiles prevents easy access, allows for different cable mediums to be in contact.
3/ Potential fire hazard when cables laid over light fittings

And the 'other' way, cable tieing to the ceiling hangers is wrong, the hangers are there to support the ceiling tiles and frame work, not a 16mm SWA :D

I wouldn't worry about the 17th on this one.

For years it has been accepted 'good professional practice' to support cables above false ceiling voids.

Reasons ??

1/ Ceiling designed to carry it's own weight, not electrical cable, BT, data etc
2/ Cables laid on the upper side of tiles prevents easy access, allows for different cable mediums to be in contact.
3/ Potential fire hazard when cables laid over light fittings

And the 'other' way, cable tieing to the ceiling hangers is wrong, the hangers are there to support the ceiling tiles and frame work, not a 16mm SWA :D

Cheers for that, I realise the point about good professional practice.

I am just ducked off because I have spent all day up ladders correcting someone else's mistakes.

My boss is trying (and failing) to get the perpetrators back in to correct it but the only answer he is getting is "it will be right, why are you worrying about it"

Theres catenary wires above the ceiling at my shop. Everythings fixed to them. Even double sockets for the cctv monitor on the ceiling and the sockets on the shelving gondolas (for magazine lights, freezers). The cash air tube guys even used them to fix their tube to. Plenty of weight on them.

Other stores I've seen 2" plastic pipe clips fixed to a plasterboard ceiling above.

Someone said the ceilings are only designed to support their own weight - what about those CCTV monitor enclosures - the plastic ones that are at an angle set into the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
I dont suppose there is anyway you could put a catenary wire in and tie the cables to that maybe :?: Fittings in the cielings are generally set in tiles with a patress in them usually mdf the ame size as the tile

Dont envy you its not nice being left to sort someone elses messes up it must be a nightmare up and down the ladder taking ouyt every couple of tiles some people just take the money and run

Dont envy you its not nice being left to sort someone elses messes up it must be a nightmare up and down the ladder taking ouyt every couple of tiles some people just take the money and run

Tell me about it, have been screwing and plugging today, am going to get some galv nails to try tommorrow as its only going into block.

I might even treat myself to a cordless SDS for the job as my hilti is way too heavy.

You can get screws that go into concrete that dont need plugs screw fix do them type in there search concrete screw it may help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back