Suspending load between 2 rafters?????????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to get some advice on wether any of my ideas have been tried and tested. We live at the top of a maisonette with flat roof. I am looking to install a point between joists (2x6 possibly doubled, TBC) to suspend a load. My first thought was just screw into a rafter but at 2inch wide and the weight to be suspended is about 120-130kgs.
So, load needs to be spread. i'm now thinking of a 4x6 joist and a joist hanger either side on to existing rafters. drill through the joist centre and insert M16 thread bar bolted either end with washers and attach a lifting eye once plastered up again. Then I thought how much would I weaken the new joist by drilling it.
:idea: So, now thinking of still using the hangers, but make a sort of lintle. Drill and bolt 2, 2"x4"s side by side, then drill and bolt 2 more to that, 1 top and 1 bottom. Then drill right through the middle, big washers,M16 bolt and hook below ceiling.
Still end up with a 4"x6" but building one like this I think that it would take the load and any movment of the load swinging below.
But what can 2 joist hangers take :?: . When holding a floor up the load is pretty well spread through the floor boards and across joists. Here, I am exerting them directly to the load and lets face it, these things don't look the strongest. I;m up for constructive critisism and ideas.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Love swing?

If not please call the Samaritans.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back