SVP must be internal??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got planning permission for a large two storey extension to my existing property and am currently working through the building regs drawings phase. Part of the extension is a new ensuite with a WC draining to a different external wall than the existing SVP (and family toilet) is located on.

In the plans we originally had the new outlet/branch/svp (or whatever it's officially called) exiting the wall and running around the outside of the extension and joining the original SVP which then leads to the drain. Job done, or so I thought.

My architect has just advised that the new branch/SVP servicing the ensuite will need to run internally (boxed in) and then join the drain directly via a new underground run.

Not wanting to have the boxing present in the new extension I asked why this was the case. Their response was that building control doesn't normally 'like' two external pipe runs to the existing SVP. (All gradients would be honoured in both cases).

I've searched through Document H and have asked my architect to clarify the requirement however they haven't got back to me yet and I'm stressing that we may have to change all the interior design to accomodate this ugly boxing.

Does anyone have experience of similar arguements with building control about having multiple branches/SVPs?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Their response was that building control doesn't normally 'like' two external pipe runs to the existing SVP. (All gradients would be honoured in both cases).

That's complete nonesense; building control would not object to that (though wc connections to the vertical pipe should be offset).

Don't start sticking ugly boxing indoors just to accord with the stupid advice you've been given by your architect.

That's complete nonesense; building control would not object to that (though wc connections to the vertical pipe should be offset).

Agree with what Tony has said, how ever their is a grey area in as much as 100mm unventilated branch pipes should not exceed 15metres in length either internal or exterrnal
No idea how long your run is, but felt it should be something you are aware of.
Regards oldun

Thanks for the answers guys. I've fed back to the architect that they need to tell me what part of the regs I'd be in breach of if we went external, otherwise we should proceed as originally planned.

The run in total will be circa 12 metres I think.

Sponsored Links
Just to complete the circle I thought I'd post the result here. The architect admitted that after speaking to building control that she had got it wrong and they are fine with the new SVP being external. Glad I called her on it now!

Yeah they don't always get it right.. I recently had an architect tell me I couldn't put a door at the top of the stairs if it was within 600 mm of the top riser, regardless of the direction it swung. I said I thought I could, he was adamant I couldn't, I said I'd leave it for the BCO to decide.. and the BCO said he was talking *******s..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back