SWA into a consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI i was wondering what you people on here would find best when terminating an swa at a consumer unit , regarding the armour.

Sponsored Links
3x3 metal adaptable box fitted under the CU, close enough to touch when the CU cover is on..
terminate with a SWA glad into the 3x3 metal box and leave the inner insulation intact untill you enter the CU via a hole in the top..
don'e forget the grommet / brass bush etc to protect the cable against the hole in the metal box.

SWA gland with banjo; stud through the banjo for connection of crimped earth cable.

Sponsored Links
Depends what type i.e. metal / plastic, and how the cover fits onto the CU - if it is plastic and has a fixed edge you can use a piranha or double locknut inside CU with banjo sandwiched between the two.
Metal is dead easy, if all the sides remove with the cover then the only method really is to but up a metal box and gland into that.

If using an external box I would think the best choice would be a galv through conduit box. It has the thread and earth terminal built in so no need to mess arround with banjos or pirana nuts or similar and its much smaller than an adaptable box.

A die cast aluminium box also works well and looks tidy.

And before anyone says "banjo" the overall system earth is not reliant on the gland to the box and the other end is banjoed to the MEB at the meter.

he meant for the particular installation in his photo since he's not used a banjo on that end of the cable, but has mysteriously put a nut and bolt through the box and appears to have wrapped an earth wire round it..

he meant for the particular installation in his photo

Yes I should have made that clear

but has mysteriously put a nut and bolt through the box and appears to have wrapped an earth wire round it..

ensures the box is earthed and provides an extra earth route via the SWA parallel to the main earth route just in case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back