Switch live PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

Sill question on its way

I need a outdoor light with PIR and with a switched live so light can be on constant. but when looking online nothing seem to tell me if it has a switched live on it. So does anyone no how to identify if it has one or not.

otherwise i'll have to go to the shops and start opening the boxes to fine what i need
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Do you mean you want to put voltage onto the switched live contact of the PIR, eg have a wall switch that will override the PIR?

If so the SPECRA range from Friedland have this feature, you can view the instruction (wiring diagram) on this website.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SS6016.html

Ideally in addition to the over ride switch you should have an additional switch to switch off the lights completley.

If you don't have the switching arrangement in place then most PIRs have a feature when you turn the switch on and off a few times to over ride the PIR

yes looking to override the PIR from wall switch but looking for a all in one
light and PIR

PIRs have a feature when you turn the switch on and off a few times to over ride the PIR but when you need to turn them off you carnt turn the supply back on till its day light again (this is the problem with the light i have now )

Sponsored Links
you cant turn the supply back on till its day light again
That can't be right. What exactly do you mean?

How does it know it's dark when the power is off?

Normally when turned back on the light will stay on for as long as you have the time set before reverting to sensor operation.

you carnt turn the supply back on till its day light again (this is the problem with the light i have now )

are you sure? all PIR lights I have seen override the pir by switching off then in within (usually) 3 seconds, to reset to normal detection, switch off for at lease 30 seconds then on again.

The light will come back on when you switch it back on initially, but will go out after the normal "on" time

Providing the Feed and the switchlive are on the same circuit, i cannot see why you cant put the switchlive in the pir/ output lampholder terminal, although it will also bypass the photocell.
Or have i missed something :confused:

Yes that will work good idea but will probably not comply with manufactures Fit in instructions

Mmmmmm seem to have got a lot of answers but no answer to the first main question so will go to the shops and start opening boxes
Thanks for the help gentelmen

Mmmmmm seem to have got a lot of answers but no answer to the first main question so will go to the shops and start opening boxes
Before you start opening boxes, read what's on the outside of them. If they indicate that they offer the facility of having the PIR control additional lights (as well as the integral one), they must have a switched live terminal available.

Kind Regards, John

switched live terminal available

yes i know but have never found a box that has any indication on the box that is has a live feed and a switched live feed

this is my question how can you tell without opening the box

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back