Switch with or without neon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Fitting a switch over a worktop to isolate a socket that will be below the worktop with a washing machine/dishwasher plugged in. Do you guys have any preference as to the switch having a neon on or not?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Don't see the point in a neon personally.
Same here, for appliances as indicated by OP. As DS said, if it were a freezer, or even a fridge, then an indication that it had not been switched off accidentally might be worthwhile (although whether anyone would notice if it went off it perhaps a different matter!). However, for a WM or dishwasher, no 'harm' would result from it being accidentally switched off and, if the machine in question didn't work, one would hope that the first thing the user would do would be to check that the switch was 'on'.

Kind Regards, John

Ah 3:1 against, didn't see any point myself but have seen both. Just curious as to your views!

If your the sort of person that likes turning your washing machine and dish washer off at night. (Or before you leave the house) then fit a neon.

I don't really see the need for a switch.
That's a common debate, which I almost mentioned. It seems that the main alleged advantage one hears being cited is that it enables a single appliance to be isolated, prior to removal and disconnection, should it develop a fault which trips a protective device and takes out lots of other things. That, however, is a very rare situation, so I'm not sure I would install a switch just for that reason. The more compelling reason (same with cookers etc.) exists if there are (or may be) children around who are prone to play with the controls of an appliance (or cooker), but who probably could not reach an over-counter switch!

Kind Regards, John

If your the sort of person that likes turning your washing machine and dish washer off at night. (Or before you leave the house) then fit a neon.
Perhaps - but if you attempted to start you WM or DW and it didn't come on, that would presumably prompt you to operate the switch - so I'm far from convinced!

Kind Regards, John

I don't really see the need for a switch.
That's a common debate, which I almost mentioned. It seems that the main alleged advantage one hears being cited is that it enables a single appliance to be isolated, prior to removal and disconnection, should it develop a fault which trips a protective device and takes out lots of other things. That, however, is a very rare situation, so I'm not sure I would install a switch just for that reason. The more compelling reason (same with cookers etc.) exists if there are (or may be) children around who are prone to play with the controls of an appliance (or cooker), but who probably could not reach an over-counter switch!

Kind Regards, John
There is a child in the house who does like to do such things! Which prompted thought of a switch in the first place.

...The more compelling reason (same with cookers etc.) exists if there are (or may be) children around who are prone to play with the controls of an appliance (or cooker), but who probably could not reach an over-counter switch!
There is a child in the house who does like to do such things!
Fair enough. As I said, I personally regard that as the most compelling reason for having switches. It's not just children - the same applies if there are people around who, because of age or other issues, may be confused or forgetful and 'meddle with' controls of appliances - although the problem with adults is that they are likely to also be able to reach the above-counter switches!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back