Switched Fused connection units and kitchen appliances.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope everyone is well.

I was looking at my kitchen today and thought to myself, I’ve got a lot of switched fused connection units around the place, both in the kitchen and the utility. This prompted a question to this forum.

I presume that the ring circuit actually runs through the sw FCU’s and that below the surface there is a 32 amp socket that the appliance plugs into, so in effect a single wire, I presume 2.5mm runs from the Sw FCU to the plug under the work surface and then the Sw FCU operates this on/off.

If this is the case does the plug under the work surface need to be un-switched or doesn’t it matter, I just can’t remember when I put my appliances in and given that they are integrated I’m not about to look.

Is my explanation correct.

Kind regards

Andemz

Sponsored Links
I very much doubt they'll be 32A ceeforms below the worktop! Are you sure they are not 13A bog standard? It doesn't really matter if they are switched or unswitched, they aren't going to be turned off in a hurry so having an accessable isolator above the worktop - in your case the SFCU is a much better option.

yes, sorry, they are 13amp of course. So, am i correct in thinking that the ring circuit runs through the SFCU's and then a wire drops down from there to the appropraie 13 amp plug socket, in which the appliance will be pluged into?

kind regards

Andemz

It sounds reasonable to me, some people don't like the idea of having an inaccessable fuse so opt to have a different type of plug and socket below the surface.

As long as the correct size fuse is in there somewhere and it is accessable (even having to move tins of beanz or the appliance) then it isn't a massive problem.

Sponsored Links
well, i've opened up my SFCU's and it seems to me that these are part of the ring circuit and then there is 1 wire that then must run to the socket below, does this sound right.

1) does the ring run through the SFCU's
2) does then a wire run from there to the socket below.

kind regards

ANDEMZ

The ring can run through the fused connection units yes, both legs of the ring will connect to the supply side of the FCUs only. There is no problem having a FCU on a ring circuit.
The socket below should be connected to the load terminals.

The ring can run through the fused connection units yes, both legs of the ring will connect to the supply side of the FCUs only. There is no problem having a FCU on a ring circuit.
The socket below should be connected to the load terminals.

I'm with you, basically both the wires going to and from the FCU (i.e the ring circuit) remain on the supply side of the SFCU and the socket below the work surface, whether this be switched or unswitched is connected to the load terminal on the SWFCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back