Switched live - Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. My bathroom currently has an extractor fan that comes on whenever I switch on the bathroom light and goes off when I switch the light off. I intend replacing this fan with a quieter version of the same model that also has a pull cord.

The current fan is a Manrose XF100S and I want to replace it with a Manrose QF100P. The information for the Manrose QF100P states: "This Manrose QF100P non-timer model has a pull cord override switch and requires a switched live and a neutral".

Is the existing red wire (on the photo) classed as live or switched live?
Can I just connect the red to switched live on the new unit and the black to neutral?
Should I do anything about the wire at the bottom of the photo that has no plastic covering?

(Just trying to be safe). Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the existing fan only comes on when the light comes on then it is a switched line. (The fan would run all the time if it was a permanent line)
The polarity is reversed on that fan in the photo and the earth wire could do with some sleeving on it and a terminal block ideally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back