Switched Live for extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

im installing a in line extractor, the fan has 3 connections live neutral and switched live.

I cant work out where to take switched live from??

the setup i have is as follows, i only have 3 wires in the switch and light so where does the switched live come from?

I will also include a 3 pole isolation switch, but its not in the diagram :)

82908303xs0.jpg

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I doubt the switch is wired as you have drawn above, the black is more likely switched live.
What you have drawn is a common mistake which usually ends up with things going bang!

Sponsored Links
Several missing wires though isn't there. The feed could come into the light or the switch?

Hi guys

im installing a in line extractor,
Is this in a bathroom? If so and it's not a replacement you must apply for Building Regulations approval before you start.

the setup i have is as follows, i only have 3 wires in the switch and light so where does the switched live come from?
Do you have any idea how alarming it is to think that you have a switch, and a light which is (presumably) not on all the time and yet you don't realise that the light must have a switched live, or else it would be on all the time?

Is this in a bathroom? If so and it's not a replacement you must apply for Building Regulations approval before you start.

Wow really? even if its a in line extractor which will be sited in the loft? You have me thinking about regs now, am i not allowed to wire this up myself?

I realise there is a switched live but i simply didnt know which one it was.

I doubt the switch is wired as you have drawn above, the black is more likely switched live.
What you have drawn is a common mistake which usually ends up with things going bang!

The red is wired to common and the black to L1 is that wrong?

So from what you guys are saying the black wires in both the switch and the light are switched live?? If so i guess it means i need to find neutral from somewhere?

The switch also has a L2 that is not used for anything

The red is wired to common and the black to L1 is that wrong?
I take it that this is existing and working fine, hence perfectly normal.
So from what you guys are saying the black wires in both the switch and the light are switched live?? If so i guess it means i need to find neutral from somewhere?
There has got to be a neutral at the light for it to work.
Is there a junction box in the loft or more wires entering the light?

The switch also has a L2 that is not used for anything
It is in case you wanted to use the switch for 2 way switching, not required in your case.

Wow really? even if its a in line extractor which will be sited in the loft?
Then it isn't notifiable because of location, but it is notifiable because of the new fixed cabling.

You have me thinking about regs now, am i not allowed to wire this up myself?
Yes, but you have to notify first.

See //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

I realise there is a switched live but i simply didnt know which one it was.
I'm afraid you get more alarming by the minute. You're now saying that you can't recognise the live terminal of your light and that you are doing electrical work without owning a multimeter.

So from what you guys are saying the black wires in both the switch and the light are switched live??
So what do you think would happen if you connected live and neutral to a switch?

Thanks for all the replies guys, all wired up and working.

Found a junction box in the loft, and found everything i needed there.

Now the hard part is out of the way, would appreciate your opinion on where to place the grill.

I was thinking above the shower cubicle but the shower is right next to the door. From reading on here its best to have it furthest from the door right?

Maybe over the toilet? Thanks again

77990854kt4.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back