switched wire colour code

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m about to fit a weatherproof junction box and 2 gang weatherproof switch on the outside wall to feed a pond pump and a light. I shall bring power into the junction box connector block then out of the box to the switch. I can link the switch feed terminals within the switch box so only need one 3-core cable between the junction box and switch box i.e. 1 live feed and 2 switched wires. I have got some Pireflex 3-core cable that I shall use to connect the junction boxes at the other end of the 2 armoured cables to feed the garden light and pump.
This cable has blue-brown-green/yellow cores. My question is whether it is within the regs to use this cable between the junction box and switch, with the blue and green/yellow being live-switched wires as long as I fix a red tag on them at both ends?
This will look neater as I can mount the switch above the junction box with 1 cable between them. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Green/Yellow stripped cable can only be used as a circuit protective conductor (earth). Any other cable colour can be used provided it is marked with correctly coloured tape or sleeve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back