Swollen door question, how much to plane?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted (2months) these doors:

http://www.todd-doors.co.uk/external-doors/external-oak/oak-empress-pair-5687.aspx

I stained them with 3 coats of ronseal interior and exterior woodstain before they went up but i have had to plane them twice. They are now getting stuck again.

I am worried that i am taking too much off and that they will shrink back leaving a huge gap? I only ever plane just enough off to get the doors to open.

Am i doing the right thing as they cost a fortune?

Also i noticed that the stain i used is waterbased would an oil baser product be better? the ronseal one said highy water repellent on the tin.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
where are they binding? top, bottom, sides, corner?

what was the weather like when you fitted them? what is it like now?

did you seal the top, bottom and planed edges?

are they solid oak, or veneered?

are they exposed to the weather?

did you treat the new frame on the hidden sides, and can damp get between frame and wall?

are the hinges tight?

cheap construction made from loads off odd bits off timber glued together with oak veneer on top
do you have a porch protecting the door??

# Constructed using laminated timber cores and thick face veneers resulting in an incredibly strong and stable product.
# As with all our external doors, the protection of at least an open porch is required to enable us to offer our normal guarantee. Please follow our finishing guidelines to ensure that your door looks great for many years to come.
# Oak as a timber is renowned for its decorative grain which is prone to small ‘shakes’ or splits appearing. This is part of the beauty of the timber and is not considered a defect. Any flaws that appear after installation should be filled and re-finished as soon as they appear.

where are they binding? top, bottom, sides, corner?

BOTTOM (WAS SIDES,PLANED THAT LAST TIME)

what was the weather like when you fitted them? what is it like now?

SUNNY, NOW RAINING HARD

did you seal the top, bottom and planed edges?

YES

are they solid oak, or veneered?

VENEERED (ENGINEERED)

are they exposed to the weather?

EXTERNAL WITH 1M PORCH AREA,NORTH FACING

did you treat the new frame on the hidden sides, and can damp get between frame and wall?

YES/NOT SURE ABOUT DAMP
are the hinges tight?

YES

Thanks for help and advice folks. They do look really good, just hope they stay that way in years to come.

Sponsored Links
as you fitted them in the dry, and it is now wet, they will have expanded a bit.

you are right to reseal all exposed and planed edges

the porch will help keep the rain off but they will still get wet

you may have to alter the draughtproofing strip when they shrink again. Nylon "wooly" pile excluders will be good.

Thought that was the case was just worried about taking too much off, so answer is as much as required.

Thanks

better to it now before it gets dark!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back