swollen front door - what waterproofing to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
front door seems to be swelling - I used a plane to shave a bit off but sadly rain came from a certain direction.

whats a good product to waterproof it? saw ronseal at BnQ?

does it need to dry out first?

its getting really hard to open :eek:

Sponsored Links
Yacht varnish it when the weather gets better. It'll shrink back in the summer, and you may then find it's too loose. Make sure you paint every single part of it though; living a few yards from the sea, I even do under the hinges, and inside the door lock as well.

Which edge or edges are beginning to swell?

When external doors begin to swell its often the end of the road for them - esp. those "hardwood" Carolina and Kentucky types that were all the rage a few years ago.
Very few external doors with a "varnish" or paint finish are correctly (and painstakingly) detailed.

not sure what type of door it is. will take a pic later

seems like its swelling on all the edges! top and side especially!

think the guttering above was broken by roofer doing quote - so its dripping and splattering the door ☹

Sponsored Links
I'd trim the minimum of material off with a plane ( to prevent excess gaps in the summer) and for a coating I'd use one of the Sadolin products.
You must coat both sides of the door to prevent bowing and it's a good move to remove it to treat the underside edge and weather board.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back