T&E in Safe Zone – To trunk or not to trunk....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All,

I have a couple of Power and lighting Cables going up a new chase in plaster board on a external wall to the loft...it's around 125mm from the corner of an adjoining internal wall so a Safe Zone.

Original plan was to put some plastic trunking up (behind it) to run it in and then plaster/fill around that before decorating but now I've thought perhaps cover with a galvanised channel might be a better option but is either really required ?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated

Kind Rgds
Freddy

Sponsored Links
Don't put trunking in the wall, that's not what it's designed for.

Galv capping is to protect the cables from the plasterer and that's about it, if you're going to fill it in yourself and are confident you're not going to maul the cable, then don't worry about it. If it's someone else doing it, then cap it

Thanks Iggifer

Yep, going to fill/decorate myself.

Is there a regulatory reason why I shouldn't use trunking though aside from not really being its intended use ?

One additional reason I had was that if there was ever a need to run anything else up there I could pull something else through – I had thought I'd leave a “pull cable” in situ for possible future use if need be.

Wrong thinking ?

Rgds

FF

Sponsored Links
As sparkwright says, use conduit, that's what it's for.

I think you might have issues with trunking cracking the plaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back