Table saw recomendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been looking to get a table saw.

I need to fit about 5 doors in my new masonette(flat).

Because I am recplacing old doors, I need to take off about 4mm along the door length.

I have an electric planner, and the used this for the first door. Totally the wrong thing it took about 4 hours and has not given a good finish.

However I have a number of project that would benefit from a table saw. The only problem I have is storing it !

Anyway looking to get a cheapesh one. searching through the net there are some cheap models for about £120 - £140

I won't touch draper with a barge pole, but Ryobi looks ok..

A large DIY store chain "You can do it when you...... it !!" are selling one for £99.

Anway after all that what I need to find out is what SPEC is good

What power ? 1500Watt seems average
What RPM ? 4200RPM ish seems average
Is 10" disk right for me ?

I also get %25 of the biggest catalogue stores.. The one that everyone has a copy of... And they sell the Ryobi

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
circular saw or handsaw is hat you need for this job if the old doors are a good fit use them as a template
i have the ryobi 1525 will do a right up later if u like ;)

woops just read it properly youl have a job removing 4mm other than with a planner or a belt sander with a course belt

are you shure the door is square youll be lucky if they all are
assuming they are sqaure and assuming your having trouble at the top and bottom of the door
score both edges at the cut line with a stanly knife hacksaw hand saw what ever to stop splintering at the edges
plane from the edge towards the centre the at 1mm depth first pass 75%across door second just over half third pass just under half [so the base plate stops before it reaches the step thats left]
turn round repeat suporting the plane as it reaches the stepdown so it dosnt dip then repeat till all steps have gone[three in this case]
turn the ajustment to about 0.5mm then plane as nessisery to reach the line

or alternativly clamp a bit of 2by 2 timber[level with the surface to support the nose off the plane and stop splintering] plane in one direction towards the timber supporting the plane as the nose comes off to stop it digging in

you would have great difficulty doing this job with a table saw as the blade is about 1/8" about 3.2mm

you would also need support to the side of about 2m long and support to the back

Sponsored Links
Those tips are great !

Thank you very much indeed.

If the weather is ok, I will give it a go. Save me spending out on a new tool I might not use.

In relation to a square door, just don't go there. The frames are so ****ed it's almost in my interest to replace them.

In one room in particular the slop at the top of the door is so big I can fit my fingers through...

I just home that my new flat does not have subsidance... this is the only sign I've seen. Plus a few cracks around the place..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back