Taking up and re-laying a stone resin tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My husband has laid out shower tray on a bed of sand and cement because the instructions say to do this. Only problem is he appears to have had a semi dry mix under the back corner instead of wet mix and I can now hear it "crunching" and creaking. :mad:

I've told him its not acceptable as it will damage the tray. Before we go any further I want it taken up. Can anyone advise the best way to take the tray up without it getting damaged so I can get some one who knows what they are doing to come and do it properly?!

Sponsored Links
Not much chance of getting it out in one piece - unless he's used a very weak mix it'll most likely be bonded in and will need the tray replacing if you try to get it off again.

These shower trays do like to be laid on a flat bed of supportive material......this keeps them nice and level with no movement. Can I ask what the sand and cement bed was laid onto?
If there's any 'rock' on the tray then you are asking for water ingress before too long, I'm afraid.....but that's at the edges where the tiles or whatever join the tray.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I think with care you could save this one....presumably you are able to slide it out, turn it upside down for some gentle scraping....even if it needs some gentle angle grinder work to finish things.
Don't under estimate the weight of this things though!

Poor bloke will need his self confidence rebuilt after this!

I think with care you could save this one....presumably you are able to slide it out, turn it upside down for some gentle scraping....even if it needs some gentle angle grinder work to finish things.
Don't under estimate the weight of this things though!

Hi John

Its in a corner and I think with some gentle persuasion it will come away. Happy to do some work to get it right. And yes its heavy. I helped to carry it up the stairs!

Poor bloke will need his self confidence rebuilt after this!

Dont start feeling sorry for him!! It was on the tray ...in big red writing. "...LAID ON A WET MIX OF SAND AND CEMENT..." He did a perfect job 16 years ago with the old shower tray and that never moved or cracked. In fact I think if the house had fallen down that shower would still be standing. Impatience and a reluctance to correct mistakes as you go are the cause of this. Along with us missing the red label! I blame myself. When he said "No semi dry is OK...do you want me to take it up and re do it with wet" I should have said "Yes" instead of "I'll make the tea" :rolleyes:

Coincidentally I had a natter with the Mira rep a while back when I was buying a Flite tray.......he reckoned so long as the floor was flat and the tray didn't rock a thick bed of silicone is all that's needed - which is what I used and all is well. Happily that one was on a suspended timber floor so the drain was nicely accessible underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back