Tanalised wooden OR concrete bearers for 9' by 9' shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just purchased an ex display 9 foot by 9 foot corner shed from a shed manufactuer. They initially planned to use tanalised wooden bearers to rest the shed on. Now it appears that they will be supplying 10 foot by 6 inch concrete bearers to mount the shed on instead.

Looking at their display sheds, I think they lay the bearers straight onto the ground and then use slate packers to level the shed on the bearers where necessary.

I am going to do the little bit of ground levelling necessary and will get some damp proof membrane to lay on top of the bearers before the shed base is put in place.

My 2 questions are these, (1) should the shed ideally rest on tanalised wooden bearers or concrete ones? (2) Should the bearers be cut so that they do not extend outside the foot print of the shed?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and reply.

Mutley56 :D

Sponsored Links
the bearers should stop short to allow the sides to be lower than the base
if the sides are level or higher than the base then you have the risk off the floor getting wet with water running down the sides getting blown under

if thats the case i would have dpm or felt between the base and sides during assembly with a drop off 1 to2" below the sides to protect the base

Thanks big-all, I understand.

What is the advantage / disadvantage of tanalised wooden bearers vs concrete ones?

Many thanks again for your help.

concrete wont rot wood eventualy will if its wet and in contact with the ground

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back