Tanks in the Loft...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys n gals...

In our loft we have two water tanks...

one small tank that i know is for the central heating system.

The bigger tank im not sure of its purpose. Ive never really got to it to llok inside as it wrapped in a thermal blanket. I do plan on looking this weekend.

Could anyone shed any light as to what it could be for?

I assumed cold water storage, but our cold water is imediatly shut off from the stop tap doen stairs, our hot water comes from a cylinder in the cupboard. We have an oil fired central heating system.

My thaughts are that maybe its unused? Could of been in use when the house had a back boiler coal fire system some years ago. If this is the case could it be removed?

Many thanks

M.A.

Sponsored Links
I assumed cold water storage, but our cold water is imediatly shut off from the stop tap doen stairs, our hot water comes from a cylinder in the cupboard. We have an oil fired central heating system.

and where do you think the cylinder gets its water from :?: :?: ;)

and where do you think the cylinder gets its water from :?: :?: ;)

I asummed from the main incoming water supply?.... maybe ive asumed wrongly then.....

Sponsored Links
yes it feeds the cylinder mains would burst it

then you would get wet :cry:

Now that makes sence.... see what a few typed words on this great forum can produce.... an nice easy answer and standing me very corrected....lol

Anyways, doe s the big tank have to be so big? or should it be big enough to refil the cyclinder? I ask as were looking at a loft conversion and im contempletating on moving the tanks to a new location... they will need to both come out anyway while the Steels are fitted, so might aswell fit new ones in a more practical (for me) location.....

Anyways, doe s the big tank have to be so big?

depends how big big is ;)

when i used to do loft conversions a while back they where sited at one end behind an acess panel usually fitted in the back of fitted wardrobes :idea:

Anyways, doe s the big tank have to be so big? or should it be big enough to refil the cyclinder? I ask as were looking at a loft conversion and im contempletating on moving the tanks to a new location... they will need to both come out anyway while the Steels are fitted, so might aswell fit new ones in a more practical (for me) location.....

Look at a mains pressure heat bank. No tanks needed and can do your CH as well. Explanation:
http://www.heatweb.com

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back