tap holes in ceramic sinks

atb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceramic (kitchen) sink without tap holes - how do I bore a suitable (single) hole for the tap?

Sponsored Links
There is usually a pre drilled hole in these types of sinks that has not been drilled all the wat through, you may a two depends which hand you want draining board, turn the sink upside down, you should see them, choose the one you wish to use a carefully tap it out with a small hammer, yes I said hammer

I was taught to use a hammer and nail punch in the middle of the proposed orifice, from the top. Takes a while to get the position right, but always seems to work. Never tried it any other way!

I usually use a small ball pein hammer and yes I didn't make that clear do it from the top

Sponsored Links
billy bob, Chris R - thanks for the help, I'll let you know how I get on!

Before starting to use any sort of hammer or punch, from the underside of the sink drill a smallish hole with a masonary drill (TURN OFF HAMMER ACTION) in the center (ish) of the recess.

Turn the sink over a taking SMALL amounts use a centre punch and hammer starting at the drilled hole working outwards. Do not hit too hard.

oldskool_plumbski said:
I Normally use a kango.and then fit a steel one. L.M.AO.
We use lead lined troughs, and I solder up the corners using my moleskins.But the moles are protected like bats now and the friggin` foreigners from Kent come and nick the lead :eek:

Nige F said:
oldskool_plumbski said:
I Normally use a kango.and then fit a steel one. L.M.AO.
We use lead lined troughs, and I solder up the corners using my moleskins.But the moles are protected like bats now and the friggin` foreigners from Kent come and nick the lead :eek:

I think the original poster has got it sorted by now. April 2004!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back