Tap holes in sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had my ceramic Franke sink delivered and the instructions say I have to use the template and tap a pin-punch into a weakened area where the tap cutout is. Bit nervous about this. Was going to masking tape the area to avoid slippage. Anything else I should be aware of? ie do you nibble away the rest or tap it out?

Sponsored Links
Did my first one a few weeks ago - was told by guy at plumber merchants to do it... on third tap a big crack shot across whole basin. Luckily was "just" a £49 basin.

I have not done it on a Franke but I have on many basins.

You have to be brave Mark where the centre of the hole is on the top of the ceramic and give it a bang I use a couple of centre punches for this normally start with a fine one for the initial hole then use a broader one to nibble away the get to the required 35mm.

It does take time don't expect to get the hole right from the first tap (no pun intended ).

Only work from the top and do not expect a clean hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back