Tap tails too short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I've got a new sink/tap. It must be French. It's using m8 tap tails and they are about 2inches too short to connect to the isolator valves.

I can't for the life of me find any m8 tap tails longer than 350mm and I'm after a 500mm. Any suggestions?

My only thoughts are seeing if I can extend the height of the water mains to get the current tails to fit. But I'm not a plumber and this thought scares me.

Does a tap tail extender exist?? Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any good plumbers merchants will be able to supply a pair of flexi 500mm m8 tails.

Sponsored Links
Been to the sheds. Both said there was no way to extend the tail pipes and they don't sell a 500mm 8bore.

Hoping plumbers merchants give me more hope. Can't for the life of me find anything online longer than 350mm.

Thanks for taking the time to help

Also another thought - I haven't taken the old tails off the existing plumbing yet. I'll do this tomorrow (haven't got the strength to fight with it tonight).
My question is are the connections which come out of the isolation valve a standard size?
Wondering if I will need a converter to connect UK copper pipes/isolation value to the M8 tail pipe.

Take the tap connectors to screwfix with a picture of what comes out of your isolators and they should sort you out.

Too much Shiraz being drunk here and one eye on the TV!

Had an idea.
Would I be able to put some copper into the isolation valves with a compression fitting and olive, give myself an extra few inches and then connect the supplied tails to those extended copper pipes??

I'd put 15mm copper into the top of the isolator valve rather than connecting the tails directly to them.

Will it work?

Hope so. Experience of my screwfix is they can barely type in the product code into the computer!!

If your isolators are 15mm ballofix valves and the ends of the flexi hoses from the tap are 8mm female caps with rubber washer inside, then you will need two short pieces of copper to come off the isolators with two new olives; then attach two of these...
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1...ucer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari
To the other end of the lengths of copper and the hoses onto the 8mm male threads, throwing away the 8mm backnuts and olives!
Make sure though that your tap flexis are actually 8mm and not 10 or 12mm!

Heres a pic of the isolators I have.
The old flexi tails are still fitted - struggling to get them off but that's another story.

The new tail pipe supplied is 8mm bore with 3/4 inch female thread. This is just too short.

Does this shed any more light / thoughts on what I can do to hopefully have a kitchen tap working today (before my wife divorces me).

IMG_3108.jpg

Thanks

Forget Screwfix, find a local plumbers merchant, take your fittings with you (plus the photos you have posted here) and they will sort you. They tend to have good plumbing knowledge themselves, and the fittings will be similar or less than Screwfix.

More of a faff for you, and it will take more time (no Sunday opening) but you will get the job done right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back