Taps and cisterns...how do I take these apart?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im so grateful for this forum!
I think its high time I start doing these little maintenance issues in my home, they are really starting to build up!

Problem one
Dripping tap. The bathroom has a modern tap that has a lever. The hot water side has been dripping for 18 months. And for 18 months Ive left the main pipe turned off! Its time I changed the washer! My question is...how do you open the tap to find the washers?
Here is the tap in question...
2325442008_7d8a73ea63.jpg

Problem two
Every now and again the cistern makes a gashing sound like the mains water turning on and off. I think its something to do with the stopcock. But...how do I open it to find the stopcock etc? It is the two button (short flush/long flush) type.
This is what it looks like...

2325442010_d39c468370.jpg

Any help is most welcome.
Thanx
Tc

Sponsored Links
Try turning the tap and giving it a yank upwards. Or look for a small screw at the back you'll need to undo with an allen key.

The cistern lid should lift off and you'll have to disconnect a small cable from the button. Normally with a sqeezing to release it.

That silver thing on the loo - unscrew it completely then lift lid off.

Sponsored Links
Hi

The tap handle is removed by undoing the screw behind the small blue/red plastic 'dot' under the handle.
A new cartridge will be needed as the ceramic discs are not serviceable (unless there is something caught in them)
The cistern . Push down the smaller button and prise out the larger button then the smaller one. They are push fit. Now you'll see the screw that holds the lid down.
You won't find a stop cock in there, it's under the cistern.(if at all :rolleyes: )

Thanet.

Hi

The tap handle is removed by undoing the screw behind the small blue/red plastic 'dot' under the handle.
A new cartridge will be needed as the ceramic discs are not serviceable (unless there is something caught in them)
The cistern . Push down the smaller button and prise out the larger button then the smaller one. They are push fit. Now you'll see the screw that holds the lid down.
You won't find a stop cock in there, it's under the cistern.(if at all :rolleyes: )

Thanet.

Thanx

Any ideas why the cistern is making a gushing sound at random intervals, if its not the stopcock?
I really dont like these modern fittings!!

Goldspoon, no worries. Thanks for the reply. I shall try and unscrew it or unprise it a bit later.

Tc

Hi

Is it overflowing into the pan?
That would operate the ballvalve every now and then. Otherwise not sure.

Thanet.

If the flush valve in the cistern isn't seating properly (like ours did), then the water level will slowly drop as water slowly trickles into the pan.

This allows the float valve to open for a few seconds to make up the water level every so often.

Check for any limescale, grit or other junk on the flush valve seating.
I found an odd bit of PTFE tape caught in the works on ours. I don't know where it came from, as I didn't use any when I installed it :confused:

Thanks guys.

i got the cistern button off. the whole lot unscrewed, buttons and all.

I got the tap apart but am left with this (image below)
the hot tap side is dripping a lot. Where do I find the washer please? Do I replace that whole green unit and how do I remove it?

2331056127_fb2e4ec5e4.jpg

Thanx
Tc

i'm pretty sure that if you reach down into the cistern, the flushing mechanism rotates a few degrees, disengages & then can be lifted out.
Isolate & empty cistern first o'course

There are no washers in the tap..or at least not in the traditional sense.

Pull the whole carttidge out. You will find a couple of ceramic discs inside. It relies on a few holes lining up as you turn the tap to let the water through. The discs are pressed together tightly with O rings or wavy washers.

Sometimes you just need to replace these and clean up the parts, sometimes you can't dismantle them and need a new cartridge (or new tap).

Presumerably the brass nut holds the cartridge in -place so just pull it out with pliers.

I've just been to B&Q where I purchased the tap and cistern.

"Oh, we dont do spares for those" was the answer I got!

Are they not supposed to go wrong?

Give me old style taps and toilets any day!

Tc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back