Tax deductibles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am guessing there are quite a few self employed on this forum, so thought I would ask here.

I have been freelance for several years, though this year I now own a house (yay). Previously I can claim for cost of Rent and take a % of that as I work from home.

I know you can also do the same for a mortgage. However I am wondering if you can also claim for some other things which are linked to my mortgage. I have an Income Protection type insurance, and was wondering if you can claim this back. This is an insurance that means i can pay mortgage if somethings happens to me that I am unable to work.

Anyone know if you can. Also Life insurance aswell, but I am guessing this isn't included. Google not really helped me too much so far. Need better google skills.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can claim a reasonable amount for the use of your home and appliances for work related expense.
Office provision, washing clothes etc.

Insurance would be claimable if necessary to work.

AFAIK, you can claim against tax for the cost of professional insurance i.e. public liability insurance.

However, I would very much doubt that you could claim for other types of insurance such as income protection. After all, let's face it - nearly everyone needs some form of insurance to pay their mortgage/rent if they become ill and cannot work and so nearly everyone would want to claim if it was a taxable allowance. Hence why I very much doubt HMRC would allow it for anyone self-employed.

Could be wrong but would appreciate an update if you ever find out.

To claim expenditure against taxable profits it has to be "wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the trade." So non trading insurances cannot be claimed

Sponsored Links
I do office work from home. I therefore can claim a reasonable % of. I only claim 5% but it all adds up. I can claim % of mortgage. The insurance is linked to the mortgage as it is insurance to cover payment of it if I was unable to work. That is what I am asking. It's really not that much of a detuctable but it all adds up.

Back