telephone and broadband

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a fax machine with a telephone attached to it also a mobile house phone and when the phones rings as both ring at the same time the computer closes down this could last from 10 minutes to 1 hour before i can get the internet back on line again i also have 2 telephone lines to two televisions for sky tv as well as a line going to the modem all the telephone lines are connected into 3 filters that is connected into each other to the man telephone socket any one know what is causing the problem as the internet is fine only when some one rings the house or send a fax or phones out do i have this problem ,cheers

Sponsored Links
There could be number of factors. Depending on the age of the phones etc and the quality/servicability of the filters.

A few things I would check and try first of all would be.

If you have cordless dect phone make sure that the base station is not close to the router wireless or wired type.

I would then unplug everything from the telephone sockets except for the computer via the adsl filter and then try ring your number and see if anything happens to the internet connection

If that is fine then plug each device in 1 at a time and ring it.

Once it happens again I would then take a known working adsl filter and plug the equpiment into that and try ringing in again. If it works then its a dodgey filter, if it doesnt then it could me a dodgey item of equipment.

Every Item of equipment should have a ren number usually a telephone is 1 ren and normally you line should be rated for between 5 and 7 ren. So if you have too many things on the same line there could be issues caused by that.

All devices connect to an extension from your main BT master socket should have an ADSL filter in. Including sky boxes.

Another thing I have found can disrupt internet and ADSL connections are old type telephones that have a bell ring.

A few things there to consider and try.

good luck

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back