Telephone extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I need to fit a socket in the lounge for sky tv. I have already ran an extension upstairs for the router. It would be easier if I could spur off of the master socket for the lounge (already spured off for upstairs) but I'm not sure if it is recommended to have a star type connection or they are meant to be all wired in series?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Telephone extensions are wired in parallel with each other. They should not be connected direct to the incoming line. The maximum REN number is 4 which generally means you can have 4 phones, or devices, connected if each has a REN value of 1.

Telephone extensions are wired in parallel with each other. They should not be connected direct to the incoming line. The maximum REN number is 4 which generally means you can have 4 phones, or devices, connected if each has a REN value of 1.

No problem at all, you are connecting to the master socket not 'direct' to the incoming line. Nothing wrong with 'star' wiring.
How else could you connect an extension, it has (should) come from the master socket.

As I said, not connected directly to the incoming line. The master socket has facilities for extension connection. Star and parallel are effectively the same 2 to 2, 3 to 3, 4 to 4 and 5 to 5 The extensions can either all originate from the master (star) or you may have the first extension in the master and the second then connects to the first etc (parallel)

Some good info here http://www.rob-r.co.uk/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

Sponsored Links
Star connections are OK for the phone circuits. They can degrade the ADSL signal

http://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/adsl-around-the-home.pdf said:
Getting Technical about Signal Quality
If your ADSL service is delivered a long way (more than 3km) from its exchange the signal may be weak. It is also possible for the layout of the extension wiring within your house to degrade the signal even further. If you suspect that you may have this
problem then you will need to do all you can to optimise your wiring.

The following paragraph is the key to this optimisation.

There should be only one path for the ADSL signal - from your master socket to your modem. There should be no blind alleys caused by t-junctions or branches on the way. All of these blind alleys should be closed off with a filter so that the ADSL signal cannot pass down them.

The best solution is to put your modem next to the master socket using our 'Faceplate-Splitter'. This is an extra-high-performance ADSL filter designed to replace the lower half of the BT Master socket (called an NTE5). This places the filter as close as possible to the incoming ADSL signal and provides hard-wired, filtered connections at the rear for all the other telephone extension in your house.

Best option is to separate ADSL and phone using a filtered front plate on the NTE 5 Plug the modem / router into the ADSL ( unfiltered ) NTE 5 front plate socket and wire the phone sockets to the filtered connections on the rear of the front plate.

If the NTE 5 is not where the modem / router is located then wire a single pair of telephone cable from the un-filtered side of the BT NTE 5 to a new NTE 5 that you provide where you want the modem / router. Connect the pair to the A B terminals on the back plate of your NTE 5. Wire your phones to the filtered terminals on the front plate and plug the modem / router into the socket on the front of your NTE 5

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm (other suppliers exist)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back