Telephone feed for alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new telephone point put in, the old cables seen better days. Is it best to use BT, my electrician or Virgin for this?
Also Im considering ceiling speakers & a system. Any recommendations at all?

Sponsored Links
"the old cables seen better days"

do you mean inside the house, or outside? Before or after the master socket?

Who is your current telephone provider? Why do you mention both BT and Virgin?

Both the line hasn't been used in years. It looks like an old BT line. Virgin seem to be everywhere nowadays, so seems to make sense to consider them. I plugged a phone in and nothing. Outside its all in a big loo, needs to be fitted correctly and inside the wires have come out of the box (well alot of them).

Sponsored Links
You mean the house has no existing landline, and has not had one for many years? You have presumably just moved in, and it wasn't you who broke the socket and pulled the wires out?

Then BT will probably charge you for an installation, but it's worth asking them what they would charge to reinstate your line.

If you have Virgin fibre down your road, you should be getting a marketing brochure every month or two with "special offers". They will usually offer a phone and broadband and free cable TV, and cheap rate mobile if you want as part of the bundle. See what offers they've got. You can look online, read their brochure, and phone them, and go for whatever is the best deal.

Not all roads have Virgin cables.

If the wire is or is to become damaged :LOL: on the outside this is free as its the property of bt.
when i moved into my house the wire was cut at the top of the house near the guttering, I called bt & new line and master socket was installed free of charge. If its on the inside this is chargeable. I have virgin broadband through my phoneline they said call bt first to get the line installed, whilst speaking to the openreach engineer, the other company's like virgin ect don't install lines they pass it on to BT

Cheers yes it was like it when I moved in, outside its not damaged but just not installed right, when the gutters were redone they removed the metal hook/arm and installed a small clip hence the excess cable in a big loop! I'll call BT and see what they say. Yes I get Virgin info every month as the road has it, but I was told that BT lines will not work with virgin cable. I will call them and find out also.

Yes I get Virgin info every month as the road has it, but I was told that BT lines will not work with virgin cable.
If Virgin has its own cable network in your town, then if you get service via that network from Virgin (for phone or internet) that will be brought to the house as a completely separate connection from Virgin's network, not via any existing BT/OpenReach line which is there.

Ah ha it all makes sense. Cheers, didnt have time to call them today. Its on my list though!

I need a new telephone point put in, the old cables seen better days. Is it best to use BT, my electrician or Virgin for this?
the best way would to look for a ex-Bt-openreach engineer in yell or gumtree or any internet search there are loads about, know what they are doing and 1/3 of the price of bt.

the best way would to look for a ex-Bt-openreach engineer in yell or gumtree or any internet search there are loads about, know what they are doing and 1/3 of the price of bt.

And the work is not noted with BT

You after a PJ ?

Ah thanks for that. I will do. Sorry a PJ?
Probably PJ = Private Job

"Not noted with BT" ( or OpenReach to be precise ) can present a problem in the future if there is a need to call them out for a genuine line fault and the installation does not match what is on their records of the service.

Most times they will up-date their records to match what they find. But not always and in a few cases they take action for breach of contract. (the contract forbids tampering with their equipment)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back