Telephone master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi evryone first post so i'll try my best.

I'm with Plus Net and phone/internet stopped working.

I checked the master socket by my front door and the terminals were all coroded with age. I have since bought a new master socket but as I took the old one out the wires came of the terminals with no force atall, hence nothing working.

There are four wires. Solid Orange and Solid White. The other two are blue and green I think but they are tied up and not being used for anything.

Question is what terminal number do i connect the orange wire and the white wires to? The terminals on the back of the master socket are numbered
1-6 and I have no idea where to connect them too!!

Any help is much appreciated and many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
2 and 5. Shouldn't matter which way round.

If they're IDC connectors you'll need a tool like this] .

However the master socket is BT's property and strictly speaking you're not supposed to fiddle with it.

thanks for the reply. If its their property does that mean id have to pay for them to change it if the terminals corroded?

i suppose the damage is done now as the original one is broken it had loads of green rusty gunk in it was no way going to work properly.

i shall connect to 2 and 5 with the new box i got from b&q and if it still doesnt work i'm stuck for ideas.

Sponsored Links
If its their property does that mean id have to pay for them to change it if the terminals corroded?

They probably would have changed it free of charge.

The incoming wires will need to go into screw terminals as they are larger diameter than fits in an IDC connector. If it is only that wire in the IDC connector then the connection is 90% certain to be good. But the jaw of the connector will be forced wider and internal wiring ( which is slightly smaller diameter) may not make good contact with the jaws.

Best option is put it back as it was but with the old junction box cleaned and reconnected. Call the phone company and say you lost service at a critical time. You needed the phone working. So you looked for a broken wire, saw that corrosion and broken wire in THEIR box was the problem and you made a temporary repair to restore service. But now THEIR box needs to be replaced before the same thing happens again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back