Telephone Wiring up 8 Wires to 4 wires. Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First of all thank you if you can help me :)

I am trying to wire up my telephone line to an extender. The extender is a male 4 wires (Green, White, Blue, Red. No stripes on any wires.) and the end of it is female but the end (female) is all fine.

Now the telephone wire i have on my wall after i stripped the wire away it has 8 wires inside not 4 like before. The 8 colors are: Brown, Yellow, Orange, Black, Green, White, Blue, Red also no stripes on any of these wires.

So my question is can you please tell me what colors connect to what colors? I have been trying for ages and i looked for youtube videos to help but no luck.

I basically just want to join the 2 cords together so its longer for use.

Thank you for your help :)

Sponsored Links
try blue and orange on the main wiring, you may have to trace that wire back to the bt box etc to find the correct wires if the blue and orange dont give you a dial tone

Sponsored Links
Hey thanks lee i tried it but the device im using says line in use?? We have had a telephone connected to this before working. So i dunno whats wrong. Thanks for you help i hope we can work out what is wrong.

Try using a multi meter and finding 47 - 50 VDC

PS what's the problem with the skirting boards? The uneven floor and the JD Sports trainers??

The eight core looks to be alarm cable and is therefor not the best to use for telephone wiring. Telephone wiring should be in twisted pair cable to minimise the pick up of interference from other wiring.

The active pair could be any two of the eight wires. That 8 core is part of a bodged job. Best to replace it and the flat flexible with a single run of the correct cable which is CW 1308.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back