Telephones: Original GPO junction boxes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into my new house last month and I'm trying to tidy up the telephone wiring. However, all I have is the original GPO junction box. Actually, there are two of them. Am I allowed to touch them? Or are they like modern master sockets and not to be fiddled with by customers.

Ideally, I'd like to remove them and fit a modern master socket.

I spoke to BT and they said I had to talk to my service provider. I spoke to Sky and after an hour of trying to explain (via their online chat) what I had and what I wanted, I gave up. They either didn't understand, or didn't want to. They eventually agreed to test for faults, but if none were found refused to assist in any way. I wasn't reporting a fault as such. I just wanted to know if I could replace my older wiring & sockets, with new ones. I want to maximise call quality and internet speeds.

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking, no you can't touch any of it.
But I seriously doubt that their record keeping is such that they'd know that they hadn't installed a new socket sometime in the past ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back