Temperature Gauge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a renault extra van, its 1992, ok stop laughing :LOL: . Anyway i got it really cheap cos it needed engine replacing, which I have done. Thing is,there aint no temp gauge, a warning light comes on if it gets too hot which is a crap idea in my opion. Does any one know how to fit a temperature gauge and if so how.
cheers ;)

Sponsored Links
I can't say I have actually done this on a Renault van but I would imagine you would have a few choices.

You could look for one of the temp gauges fitted to older cars which use a copper capilary tube in place of the sender unit and only need electric for a light. This would mean mounting a gauge somewhere on the dashboard. Classic car magazines or sites will help here, this may be the easiest way.

Or you could maybe change the instrument panel for one out of a newer or more upmarket model that does have a gauge, but you can't assume the loom is the same it may need wiring. You could also mount a proprietry electric temp gauge on the dash somewhere, if you do this they normally have 4 wires. 1 for lights, 1 for earth, 1 from sender (which sometimes although not always needs changing) and the power lead which needs to be a stabilised supply. You should take that from the power supply to the fuel gauge or the unit may have its own, ask.

I am not with certain with a van, but for cars you can often get a sender unit which activates the existing warning light at a lower temp than the standard item, which basically tells you you've just cooked your engine.

Ask at Renault or a local accessory shop for this first it may be easier and cheaper.

Sponsored Links
Back