Temporary accommodation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am new to the forum and have a question!

We are having work done on our house which will take a few months, during this time we can't live in it.
We do, however, have a summer house which has a shower, space for a bed etc - we plan on staying in there until the work is complete.

So, the question is are we likely to encounter any issues with the local authority if we stay in there?
I can't see why there would be issues but in the UK anything can happen.
If if were an issue could we be evicted from our own summer house (to effectively be made homeless)?!
If it were an issue could we dispute it and essentially make the 'eviction' process take a few months until the building work is done and we move back into the main house?
What's the chain of events should a neighbour complain about this - how does the local council react typically?

I guess the alternative is moving out temporarily or getting a caravan but it would be a waste as there is a perfectly habitable summer house which we can use in the garden!

Thanks in advance - hope you can help...and yes, it's a lot of questions :)

Sponsored Links
Just do it, speak to the neighbours first though and let them know what you're up to.

Just do it, speak to the neighbours first though and let them know what you're up to.

Thanks, Deluks.

That's kind of our plan apart from the tell the neighbours thing. We only have one who will care, just turns out he's a bit special.

I spoke to a friend today who is ex parish council (different area though) and his advice was to just go ahead. It's not worth the taxpayers money to pursue something that will be over before they can send a letter so they won't bother you. We may get a letter but the general consensus is to throw it in the bin!

Sponsored Links
Looks like that as long as it can be established that the original purpose of the building was incidental, and was not intended as living accommodation, a subsequent change of use does not require planning permission.

http://planninglawblog.blogspot.de/2011/08/permitted-development-for-outbuildings.html

But there doesn't appear to be any recognition of temporariness in the material change of use provisions in the Building Regulations, so legally you would be required to get approval for the change of use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back