Temporary study in the Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to do some solid study for some exams. I am in full time employment and have a family, so I don’t think it will be possible to do it in the living space of the house.

I was wondering if it would be feasible to create some working space in the loft. Our loft has already got studs for the wall, so it would be a matter of plaster boarding and using a loft ladder for access. I don’t want to make it a full on loft conversion for now, as I don’t have the time or the funds.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what is the minimum I would need to do / get done, so I don’t fall through the ceiling with my computers? Yet not take months to complete.

I hope this gives an idea of what I need. I would appreciate any constructive advice.

Sponsored Links
Whats the existing ceiling structure? So size of joists, centres and spans where you would be sitting?

Whats the existing ceiling structure? So size of joists, centres and spans where you would be sitting?

The length of the house from back to front is around 28 feet. A solid wall runs parallel to the back and front wall in the middle of the house. So joists span is just less than 14 feet from front wall to the supporting wall in the middle of the property. (The table and chair will be in this section).

Ceiling joists are 6 inches x 2 1/2 inches with 400mm centres. The size is same as our second floor joists (as far as I know)

I need to do some solid study for some exams. I am in full time employment and have a family, so I don’t think it will be possible to do it in the living space of the house.

I was wondering if it would be feasible to create some working space in the loft. Our loft has already got studs for the wall, so it would be a matter of plaster boarding and using a loft ladder for access. I don’t want to make it a full on loft conversion for now, as I don’t have the time or the funds.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what is the minimum I would need to do / get done, so I don’t fall through the ceiling with my computers? Yet not take months to complete.

I hope this gives an idea of what I need. I would appreciate any constructive advice.

When you mention about the stud walls and the existing ceiling joist already being 150mm deep sounds like somebody has already thought of creating 'extra space' up there.

63 x 150mm (2" 1/2 x 6") at 4.2mts (metric 14') is not adequate for a domestic floor load, it could be suffice for what you have mentioned;
a chair, a desk, your pc equipment,books and you in the centre of the room over the supporting wall.

Sponsored Links
As the others have said, if you keep your workspace within a few feet either side of the supporting wall below, you will have no problem.

Use the small B&Q t&g sheets of chipboard for the floor; build side walls of 3x2 studding lined with plasterboard; on the underside of the rafters, fix an inch or so of insulation board.

Might be a bit cold in winter so use elec. rad.

When you mention about the stud walls and the existing ceiling joist already being 150mm deep sounds like somebody has already thought of creating 'extra space' up there.

63 x 150mm (2" 1/2 x 6") at 4.2mts (metric 14') is not adequate for a domestic floor load, it could be suffice for what you have mentioned;
a chair, a desk, your pc equipment,books and you in the centre of the room over the supporting wall.

If you look in the loft, it seems that there was once a third floor in the original house and has later been removed. There is also a window in the loft (which matches the old wooden windows of the house), but it has now been slated over with the roof. You can see new timber is used to block the window opening.

The loft floor currently has rock wool insulation on it. Should I just remove it from the floor space I will use? Or do I need to put it back or another type of insulation between the floor boards and the second floor ceiling plaster board. Most of the loft already has floor boards and insulation is above the floor boards.

As winter is approaching, would removing the insulation cause damp or condensation in the loft? Also, would it cause any problems, if I get a radiator installed in the loft?

If you look in the loft, it seems that there was once a third floor in the original house and has later been removed. There is also a window in the loft (which matches the old wooden windows of the house), but it has now been slated over with the roof. You can see new timber is used to block the window opening.

Interesting and curious, would love to see pics ! :D[/b]

If it's just a temporary "house" for yourself during your studies it doesn't need to be built of major materials.
Consider a lightweight frame, then clad said frame with hardboard.
You dont need to go the plasterboard route if its just a temporary.
As for the ceiling just screw the hardboard onto ceiling joists if they have sufficient horizontal span. Or again use battons to screw hardboard onto.
Make your space as small as possible will alow it to be heated easily.
Obviously, allow space for desk and chair (of course), but also bookcase or two, (for all those books and folders), somewhere for the printer, even an additional small desk to sit the documents that you are working on at the time. Really depends on the available space.
The flooring choice depends on joist size and spacing. Have used 18mm T+G chipboard for that.
Insulation of the walls/ceiling is optional. It would depend upon the final size and what heater you are going to use. Yes you will need a heater of some description. Have used gas heater for this very purpose/situation which gives good results.

Would love to know the history of the loft. We have been here for around 15 years.

If it's just a temporary "house" for yourself during your studies it doesn't need to be built of major materials.
Consider a lightweight frame, then clad said frame with hardboard.
You dont need to go the plasterboard route if its just a temporary.
As for the ceiling just screw the hardboard onto ceiling joists if they have sufficient horizontal span. Or again use battons to screw hardboard onto.
Make your space as small as possible will alow it to be heated easily.
Obviously, allow space for desk and chair (of course), but also bookcase or two, (for all those books and folders), somewhere for the printer, even an additional small desk to sit the documents that you are working on at the time. Really depends on the available space.
The flooring choice depends on joist size and spacing. Have used 18mm T+G chipboard for that.
Insulation of the walls/ceiling is optional. It would depend upon the final size and what heater you are going to use. Yes you will need a heater of some description. Have used gas heater for this very purpose/situation which gives good results.

Thanks for your response. The floor space is already there. The ceiling is already plaster boarded, so I would only need to plasterboard the walls. Probably get a central heating radiator installed as it seems the most cost effective and efficient solution.

Lets see how it goes. Will post the pictures of the out come :)

Would love to know the history of the loft. We have been here for around 15 years.

Thanks for posting the pics - intriguing!!

Is there anything special on the roof outside, maybe post a photo of that

Looking by them pics, it looks like that was an old attic style room from an older part to the house. Is there any signs of newer brickwork ? Mainly from the are were the rafters slope over the old window ? Steel beam boxed out perhaps ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back