Terminating SWA in a buried backbox?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me again, this time with a question about cable termination!

If I terminate SWA in a regular galvanised backbox which will be buried in plaster and tiles, what do I use instead of the traditional gland arrangement? I'm assuming that this must be left serviceable (much like JBs) but once buried under plaster and tiles in my kitchen it won't be (much like JBs end up)

You see, as part of my rewire, I will be wiring in a number of radial circuits for things such as fridge and heating. I had planned to protect them with RCBOs, but a few posters on here pointed out that I would enjoy less tripping instances if I wired them into MCBs and used earthed steel conduit or armoured cable to satisfy regs. This would certainly be a better solution in my opinion.

I am quite keen on using SWA rather than conduit, because it is not a particularly straight run between CU and kitchen, so would be a more practical run up in the ceiling void.

Is there another way to terminate SWA, or is there another sort of armoured cable I'm not aware of? :?: Really not looking forward to running conduit with 7 90-degree elbows in a short distance!!! :LOL:

(N.B. all work will be notified to BCO before I start it. I just want to make sure I've got all the bits ready and the routes planned before I start)

Sponsored Links
Look at flexishield cable with suitable glands.

The cable needs to be to BS8436. Flexishield is about £2 a metre for 2.5mm twin plus earth.

Sponsored Links
The gland can be buried in the wall.
Hmmm.

If you were using SWA because you needed its earthed armour, wouldn't the gland be a connection which was required to be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance?

Hmmm.

If you were using SWA because you needed its earthed armour, wouldn't the gland be a connection which was required to be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance?

3 core SWA, use a core as CPC and earth the armour only at the CU end where it is accessible? If it's OK to only earth armour at one end when TTing an outbuilding it should be OK here too.

But T&E and steel conduit would be easier, you only need the conduit for the drop down the wall. i.e. it does'nt have to run all the way back to the cu.

Provided it's 50mm from the top/bottom sides of the joists though.

OMG.

I cant believe you intend to wire a kitchen in SWA so as to avoid the excellent benefits of an RCD/RCBO which may never wrongly trip in its lifetime!

I feel you need to get some advice from elsewhere.

CBW

But T&E and steel conduit would be easier, you only need the conduit for the drop down the wall. i.e. it does'nt have to run all the way back to the cu.

Provided it's 50mm from the top/bottom sides of the joists though.

What reg is that then? Nothing wrong with cable laying loose in a ceiling or a floor void.
as long as it doesn't go through a joist...

Though in this case its metallic covering would solve that.

Don't see why, its no different to a buried micc gland or an micc fixed into a plaster depth box.
I've never thought about using SWA in a house to avoid RCDing the cable, so never thought about this before.

I agree - it's no different - MICC glands would surely need to be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance?

OMG.

I cant believe you intend to wire a kitchen in SWA so as to avoid the excellent benefits of an RCD/RCBO which may never wrongly trip in its lifetime!

I feel you need to get some advice from elsewhere.

CBW
OMG he's not wiring his whole kitchen in SWA. Selected circuits, on which it would be undesirable to experience nuisance tripping (or appliances known to exhibit completely normal earth faults). Fridge, Freezer, heating, cooker.

Steve,

it seems to be totaly mad!

It may be that its alien to me, I have never done it or seen it, I feel it will be a total nightmare to instal and when the 18th edition comes along will probably be unsuitable and require removal/modification prior to house sale.

We dont seem to suffer nuicsance tripping on most of our instalations(LUCKY) But just feel this is OTT.

CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back