Test a large pump to help out some friends...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some friends who live overseas and who rely on natural mountain springs for their water supply. These springs dry up in summer which is obviously inconvenient for them. We're considering a solution for them of buying water storage tanks and placing them on the mountainside above their house and gravity feed water to the house when the springs dry up. The tanks would be filled with water from the stream below the house in Winter but this would require a large pump.
Recently I bought a pretty big pump at an auction but I don't know anything about it. There are photos of it here.
http://s723.photobucket.com/user/smithmf/library/Pump
I'm hoping that someone can tell me how I might go about testing it to see if it works. If not, I've been told it might have some value so, if it does, perhaps I'll sell it and send them the cash to contribute to their water supply. I've attached a couple of photos and if anyone could tell how to test it and whether it's suitable for pumping water from a stream up a reasonably steep mountainside over, say 100m of distance, I'd be grateful.

Sponsored Links
If the springs are higher than the house why not place the tanks above the house but below the springs so the tanks fill direct from the springs by gravity.

Made by Grundfos, can`t remember the model name of that twin headed pump circulation pump, 220-240v power supply, 2780 rpm, rated at IP55 so not waterproof and don`t think it will pump 100m up a steep hill. Can`t see how you are going to feed it continuously from a stream either, to do that you will need a submerged pump. but up a hill over that distance you are talking big boy stuff.

Sponsored Links
Even if the pump did work, consider the condition of the stored water after it's been in the tank(s) for a few months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back